Mostrando resultados del 1 al 9 de 9

Tema: Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS vs Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Question Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS vs Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Hola,

Supongo que ya se ha preguntado sobre esto hasta la saciedad pero claro, es que aún hay poco información sobre el nuevo Canon: se sabe el precio -alto como siempre-, sus características, ... pero no hay ninguna review que nos demuestre la calidad de imagen, el bokeh, etc.

A sabiendas que los dos son objetivos que cubren un amplio rango focal, así, a bote pronto, el Canon debería dar mejor calidad de imagen por ser un poco más luminoso. Se le supone un bokeh mejor que el Sigma (al que ponen a "parir" por no tener calidad en el "blur"):

smoothness of out-of-focus areas do not really depend on aperture openings but how the lens light passes through the glass elements, shape and number aperture blades, distance of background vs subject among others.

my sigma 55-200 has very smooth bokeh at f5.6, far more pleasing than the 50mm f1,8 especially when light sources such as bulbs are included in the background.

MTF charts show bokeh characteristics as well. if the red and green curves of the MTF chart are close together, bokeh is smooth. If not, then expect bad things.
    ¿Alguien tiene más información, reviews, etc. del Canon?

Si sólo se tuvieran en cuenta las características técnicas, calidad, etc. ¿cuál sería mejor y por qué?

En tiendas reales, físicas, la diferencia de precio entre uno y otro tampoco es mucha (499€ para el Sigma y 549€ para el Canon), habrá que ver qué pasa en las tiendas online ...

Gracias a todos por vuestra ayuda!
    EOS 1000FN · EF 35-80 // Ixus 50 // Ixus 8O IS // EOS 400D · Tamron 17-50 F2.8 · EF-S 18-55

Predeterminado Bokeh del 18-200 de Sigma

Hola,

Dejo un ejemplo del bokeh del Sigma ... bastante distrayente ...

Y otra opinión de un foro americano con un enlace a las cartas MTF del Canon:

I am really curious to see meaningful sample images from this lens.

According to the MTF charts Canon provides the 18-200 is an excellent 200 mm lens and very good at 18mm too. http://www.usa.canon.com/... ...&fcategoryid=149&modelid=17518#ModelDetailAct
    The Sigma 18-200 OS too is excellent at 18 and 200mm. The center performance of the Sigma lens is very good througout the range but the border is extremely soft at 35 and 100mm. Its good to excellent at 18 50 and 200mm. I hope that the Canon 18-200 does not provide similar nasty surprises.

Y una interpretación de las mismas:

At 18mm

Very sharp at the center (10mm radius. think of the circle on your viewfinder). Past that, it is sharp, though some objects may not be as much because only the Sagital (S) lines are sharp, not the Meridional (M). Not good for landscape wide open. At f8, There is a minor improvement in the corners. It's basically similar wide open at the corners. It is excellent at f8 in the center, even up to 20mm radius from the center (or 8mm on the graph). Past that, it is soft though some shots will appear sharp if the lines align with the Sagital (S) line which is very, very high.

Contrast, the same as resolution at the 10mm radius or (5mm from the center) excellent wide open. Same call as resolution. Amazingly, it is still contrasty wide open even in the corners! In fact, at f8 just improved a bit in contrast. It is above board in contrast even in the corners! And this will help give the illusion of resolution making the corners/edges of the images appear sharp from a distance.

18mm conclusion - Excellent contrast wide open, and more so at f8! Very good and above usable at f3.5 in resolution, but the edges and corners aren't as good. It's not bad, and in terms of resolution, if we compare it with other lenses, it is on par or maybe even better as far as resolutions go.

Let's see if it vignettes or has severe barrel distortions though!

At 200mm

Wide open (f5.6) at 10mm radius (5mm on the chart), it is very sharp (excellent). Very sharp and very good maybe up to 16mm radius from center (or 8mm on the chart). Corners can be terribly soft. Not good if you want to have corner-to-corner sharpness. This is nice for portraits of head and you want the corners to be soft anyway. But not good for copy work where corner sharpness is required.

Contrast is very high though, whether at f5.6 or f8. They are about the same. This lens is very contrasty.

Overall conclusions based only on the charts:

Very high resolution in the center. Very contrasty all over the frame even wide open at all focal lengths, most espcially in the long end. This high contrast will give the impression of sharpness. And the high S values will add to the resolutions for some types of subjects. Very is very good to almost Excellent performance overall for this class of lens. It will be a surprise! Just remember, this is not the 55-250 IS or other lenses. don't expect it to be on par with the 17-55 IS, though I think, it will be very close for the same apertures.

I suspect some severe barel distortions at 18mm maybe up to 24-26mm. Some moderate pincussion at the 200mm, but MTF charts don't show this really. I think this lens is best at 40-90mm though I have no data to support this because there is no MTF chart for these FLs. This is just based on experience and based on how it performs at 18mm and 200mm. It didn't falter at the 200mm from 18mm. It was even better at the long end. The center rez also held from 18mm to 200mm. So, I can only guess that this lens will be at its best at around 35/40mm to maybe 90mm-100mm even wide open with a good balance of center sharpness and contrast and even at the corners. But only at 35-90mm. Again, I repeat, I am guessing here only based on experience. Photozone tests and other sites will verify if this "guess" is correct.

Also, the lens uses a 6 blade curved design, w/c the 55-250 IS uses. This means, that the bokeh will be greatly improved, and the specular highlights will be round, not 6 sided. In fact, for a 6-bladed design, it may be on par with regular blades of 8-blades. They should start using this curved blades in all their future lenses as it does render bokeh nicely. I would gamble again here, I think the bokeh will be creamy. No, not prime creamy, but for it's aperture and it's zoom range, it will be a surprise! Why do I say that? Because the 1-S & M lines are very close. 2-the use of the curved blades 3-experience with the 55-250 IS bokeh (I have this lens). For sure, the specular highlights of this lens will be round, and not a geometric figure!

My final words, and I am staking my reputation here, barring any other issues (as listed below), this lens will not be a mediocre lens. This will be in line with the new ef-s lines we are seeing. What it means is that it will not disappoint and its sharpness will be in the same breath as the new 18-55 IS and the surprising 55-250 IS. But the difference is that this lens will be more contrasty. And it will show. This probably is due to the 2 CA glass and the 2 UD glass (w/c is the reason for the high contrast and center resolution).

A shame it is not ring USM, but this will be one smokin' lens! I don't want to offend the Nikon 18-200 vr, but darn, this one is 2 steps way above the VR version! It is closer to the tamron 18-250 di-2, though I suspect, that this lens will probably be crowned the king of the 18-200 range for crop bodies as it will likely unseat the tamron, and neuter the advantage of OS of the sigma 18-200 OS!

Well, the tamron 18-270mm VC could probably dethrone it, but then again, that lens will be out end of the year yet.

Also keep these in mind, the MTF charts don't measure or show the following:

- CA
    - vignetting
    - flare resistance
    - barrel and/or pincussion distortions
    - actual bokeh in real life
    - AF speed
    - AF hunting
    - AF accuracy
    - handling
    - Efficacy of the IS
    - No measurements of f-stop transitions (e.g what is the f-stop reading at 35mm, 50mm or 100mm) across the FLs.

Also, we only see the 18mm and 200mm FLs. We don't know the MTF somewhere in-between. So we do not know how it really does at 35mm, 50mm, 80mm, 100mm, 135mm, 150mm.

Finally, remember, to compare this to an EF lens, read the EF lens only up to the 15mm mark as this is a lens for a crop body.

So that's my mini-review based on the MTF charts only! Real world samples and experience will verify if these readings are correct!
    Última edición por serieofilo; 12/10/08 a las 21:06:13 Razón: Añado MTF e interpretación del Canon
    EOS 1000FN · EF 35-80 // Ixus 50 // Ixus 8O IS // EOS 400D · Tamron 17-50 F2.8 · EF-S 18-55

Predeterminado

y que viene a decir mas o menos?????

Predeterminado Sigma 18-200

Hombre he leido mucho sobre el sigma 18-200 dc os y ya me se todo lo que dicen. En cuanto a la calidad sabemos que es un todo terreno de alto rango y la utilidad que tiene por tanto. Yo lo he tenido desde que lo compré pegado a mi canon 400d y la verdad a mi me ha salvado de muchos momentos como eventos en los que he tenido que tirar cerca, lejos, etc. Y me ha dado una gran versatilidad en cuanto a su estabilizador pues ayuda mucho apesar de sus 3.5/f. La verdad yo lo recomiendo. Ahora voy a venderlo pero solo porque me ha caido en gracia un Tamron 18-50 y un Canon 28-135. Yo lo recomiendo aunque el Canon no lo he probado ya que imagino que será carillo y buenecillo. Pero yo lo caro acostumbro a comprarlo si es muy bueno. No me gusta eso de caro y buenecillo.

Un saludo,

Si quieres alguna foto del Sigma me lo dices y tu la analizas.

Predeterminado

otro ejemplo de bokeh de sigma menos distrayente

tengo en flickr un albun con fotos sacadas con este objetivo fotos con el 18-200 os - a set on Flickr
    creo que el objetivo rinde mas que el fotografo

un saludo
    Última edición por mikelon; 23/10/08 a las 06:45:32
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/12649461@N07/

eos kiss X2 ,sigma 18-200 os,peleng

Predeterminado

Yo he tenido la posibilidad de probar un canon y aunque no he probado el sigma, tengo que decir que el canon da un resultado muy bueno tratándose de un objetivo con este rango de focal. Voto por el Canon.

Predeterminado

Hola

Tenía pensado cambiar de objetivo, pero visto lo visto sigo con mi sigma que estoy bastante contento con él.

Saludos

Predeterminado

Dan los 200 como para hacer "robados" de esos casuales por la calle? Estoy pensando cambiar mi pisa (sin IS) y mi Canon 55-250 IS por éste. Lo del bokeh es una pena, pero para eso tengo el 50 1.8!